Telling Time Song
- Song: Telling Time Song
- Learning Objectives: This song will help learners review words and phrases used when telling the time. The song focuses on all ways of telling time like – o’clock, quarter to, quarter past, half past. It is also a good song for reviewing daily routines.
- Key phrases/sentences: I wake up at six o’clock. Get dressed at quarter past.
- How to use: Turn on the music and the video. Let the students listen and watch once or twice. Break down the song and teach. To do that, tell students you will sing one part of each line and they will complete it.
- Students' Line: I wake up at six o’clock.
- Teacher's Line: I wake up at six o’clock.
- Why use songs in English Lessons?
Teacher's Line: Get dressed at quarter past.
After this, change roles.
Students' Line: Get dressed at quarter past.
Keep doing this and before you know it, your learners will be singing the whole song without any help. That's how you get these phrases and sentences firmly implanted in their brains.
Research has shown that young learners can absorb words and sentences twice as fast if they get to sing them. Songs also have the added advantage of reducing stress in the classroom. Every teacher knows that when students are less stressed, they learn better.