- Song: Colors (Colours) Song
- Learning Objectives: This song will help learners review key words and phrases used when talking about colors. The song reviews key phrases used when talking about colors. It also introduces a few nouns and uses key colors adjectives to describe them.
- Key phrases/sentences: What color is your shirt today? My shirt is red. It’s my favorite color.
- How to use: Turn on the music and the video. Let the students listen and watch once or twice. Break down the song and teach. To do that, tell students you will sing one part of each line and they will complete it.
- Why use songs in English Lessons?
Students' Line: What color is your shirt today?
Teacher's Line: What color will you wear?
After this, change roles.
Teacher's Line: My shirt is red.
Students' Line: It’s my favorite color.
Keep doing this and before you know it, your learners will be singing the whole song without any help. That's how you get these phrases and sentences firmly implanted in their brains.
Research has shown that young learners can absorb words and sentences twice as fast if they get to sing them. Songs also have the added advantage of reducing stress in the classroom. Every teacher knows that when students are less stressed, they learn better.