Classroom Command Song
- Song: Classroom Command and TPR song
- Learning Objectives: This song will help learners review key classroom commands. It can also be used as a great warmer prior to any lesson. This can easily become the first song kids learn before any English course.
- Key phrases/sentences: Sit, stand up again. Clap your hands.
- How to use: Turn on the music and the video. Let the students listen and watch once or twice. Break down the song and teach. To do that, tell students you will sing one part of each line and they will complete it.
- Why use songs in English Lessons?
Students' Line: Sit, stand up again
Teacher's Line: clap your hands and turn again
After this, change roles.
Teacher's Line: Sit, stand up again
Students' Line: Clap your hands and turn again
Keep doing this and before you know it, your learners will be singing the whole song without any help. That's how you get these phrases and sentences firmly implanted in their brains.
Research has shown that young learners can absorb words and sentences twice as fast if they get to sing them. Songs also have the added advantage of reducing stress in the classroom. Every teacher knows that when students are less stressed, they learn better.