Months & Festivals Words & Sentences
- Topic: Months, Festivals Words & Sentences ESL Lesson
- Vocabulary: months of the year- January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December. Festivals - Christmas, Halloween, New Year's Day, birthday. Ordinal Numbers - First, second, third, fourth, fifth, twentieth, twenty-first.
- Grammar: We add the suffix '-st, -nd, -rd, -th' to cardinal numbers to write ordinal numbers - example 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th. Ordinal number are used to show the position or rank in a sequential order. When talking about dates, we often use ordinal numbers to show position of a number relative to other numbers. For example there 31 days in December and Christmas in on the 25th day of December.
Ordinal vs. Cardinal Numbers
- Halloween is on October 31st. (ordinal numbers)
- There are 31 days in October. (cardinal numbers)
Capital Letters at Start of Months & Festivals
- My birthday is on May 2nd. NOT My birthday is on may 2nd.
- When is Christmas? NOT When is christmas?
- When is Halloween? NOT When is halloween?